Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Book Review: Something Maybe

Something Maybe by Elizabeth Scott. (Grades 7+)

Okay, I read this last month and I just can't wait any longer to talk about it!

Hannah's parents take embarrassment to a whole new level - her aging playboy dad is the star of a reality show and her mom poses as Candy Madison, running a paid website in her negligee. Hannah has perfected the art of being invisible, which is a shame when it comes to the object of her longing, a coworker named Josh. How can Hannah retain her invisibility and still get Josh to ask her out? And as she gets to know Josh a little better... is Josh really the one she wants to go out with?

I'm a big fan of Elizabeth Scott's realistic characters and romantic storylines (well, not all of them are romantic...). I think Something Maybe is my favorite of hers so far. I loved it!

Okay, so it's kind of predictable. It's completely obvious to the reader who the better man is, but it's that kind of predictability that is so comforting and makes for a really great feel-good read. And there's plenty that makes Hannah's story stand out. I love all the supporting characters - Hannah's mom flirting with guys on the internet to pay the bills, Hannah's dad who only invites her to visit him when his reality show ratings are down. Finn, her annoying coworker who is totally into her (although Hannah has no idea). Teagan, her best friend who left fashion school to move back home and take care of her mom.

And just as much as I love all the supporting characters, I love Hannah's voice. It's funny and a little sarcastic and... well, see for yourself*:

Josh doesn't date guys like me. He dates tall, skinny, dark-haired girls who care about political causes and social injustice and wear short, gauzy dresses that I could never get away with wearing. Ever. Plus they always have cool names like Arugula or Micah. (pg 10)

(Is it just me? The thought of someone being named Arugula really cracks me up..)

"I love this time of day," Josh says - talking to me, he's talking to me! - and I try to think of the right thing to say.

"I love you" sounds a little intense for this conversation
. (pg 14)

Can you see why I love this book? I'm not the only one. Read more reviews at Reviewer X, The Compulsive Reader, and Teen Book Review.

And I have a treat for you. The fates smiled on me and I got an extra ARC of Something Maybe, which I'm going to send to one lucky winner! To enter, just leave a comment on this post and make sure you leave your email if it's not readily available from your profile/blog. Post about this contest in your blog or Twitter and leave me a link to get an extra entry. This contest is open to ANYONE ANYWHERE!

Contest ends Saturday, February 21 at midnight Central Standard Time.

The book is due out March 24, so this is your chance to get an early look!

ETA: The contest is now closed. Thanks so much to all who entered!

*Quotes are from an uncorrected ARC and maybe not be reflected in the final version of the book.